Quality of your Book and learning material

I am somewhat disappointed with your book, mostly because lack of good and sound explanation, and not a single illustration on how code steps depends on each other and links together. In fact, in many cases I must rely on Qt 5.15 in order to make the example code work properly. I have managed fairly well up to “ Listing 46 .”. but a tedious and time-consuming work is needed to puzzle it all together mainly because of:

end::init[]

def init etc.

… not shown for clarity

As this is the first example with two subclasses and really, presenting the whole code would be much clearer!
I do admit that I am learning OOP while following your lessons. Was there any prerequisites given in order to follow your course material?

Hi @Kjell_Magne_Gjerde thanks fro the feedback, sorry to hear you’re disappointed with the book.

and not a single illustration on how code steps depends on each other and links together. As this is the first example with two subclasses and really, presenting the whole code would be much clearer!

Can you expand on this, I’m a bit confused by what you mean?

Each of the code blocks has the full source code available in the downloads (linked in the introduction of the book). The path given above each block points you to the current file, which you can run directly.

The reason the book contains only snippets is because otherwise the code blocks quickly run over multiple pages, making it unreadable/difficult to see what has changed. I’ve had feedback that this was helpful to others, but I’m open to suggestions to improve it.

In fact, in many cases I must rely on Qt 5.15 in order to make the example code work properly.

The sample code files should all run as-is, and you definitely shouldn’t need to fix anything. If any of them didn’t work for you can you let me know which?

( I know e.g. dialogs_2.py has a bug in it, which will be fixed in the next update). now fixed.

I do admit that I am learning OOP while following your lessons. Was there any prerequisites given in order to follow your course material?

This might be a problem. The book isn’t intended as an introduction to Python/OOP, just applying those things to building GUIs with Python. For many it is the first introduction to this in Python though, so I can certainly add a chapter in there. I’ll take a look for the next update.