setCurrentIndex() says it receives NoneType

I want to take multiple selections from a treeView of a file system and process them sequentially, like a batch job. If there’s a better way than what I discuss below, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the following code:

def add_item(self):
    """Add Project Explorer selected asset to Working Directory"""
    indexes = self.project.treeView.selectedIndexes()
    for index in indexes:
        self.console_output.on_update_text(index)  # Just to verify data type
        self.project.build_project(index)

I know that each index is a Qt index object because the error returned is

TypeError: arguments did not match any overloaded call:
    insertText(self, str): argument 1 has unexpected type 'QModelIndex'
    insertText(self, str, QTextCharFormat): argument 1 has unexpected type 'QModelIndex'

The build_project() code is below:

def build_project(self, item):
    if item:
        index = self.treeView.setCurrentIndex(item)
    else:
        index = self.fileSystemModel.filePath(self.treeView.currentIndex())
    index_path = Path(index)  # Convert string to path-type
    parent_dir = index_path.parents[0]  # Get the path to the /opencpi/projects directory
    out = subprocess.run(["bash", "-c", f"source {self.default_dir}/cdk/opencpi-setup.sh -r && cd {parent_dir} && "
                                        f"ocpidev build project {index_path.name}"],
                         stderr=subprocess.STDOUT, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    self.console_output.on_update_text(out.stdout.decode())  # Send command output to console

If I remove the console_output line in add_item() and pass the index to build_project(), I get the following error:

<removed for clarity>
  File "/home/toor/PycharmProjects/ie-gui/OpenCPI_GUI.py", line 991, in build_project
    index_path = Path(index)  # Convert string to path-type
  TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not NoneType

I’ve tried a number of different things and can confirm that the index values generated by add_item() are QModelIndex values. Since the singular creation of the index via self.treeView.currentIndex() works, I don’t understand why setCurrentIndex() doesn’t work, much less why it claims a None value is being provided.